When I started SitterCycle.com and we talk about our nanny trainings, nannies instantly get it! Many parents do to but I’ve met several parents who shrug and say “my nanny isn’t trained in childcare and she’s doing just fine.” And I am sure they’re doing wonderfully, because above all if a nanny can provide a safe and loving environment for the children in their care and parents are happy then I believe that is just fine.
I never have to resort to fear mongering about safety. Parents are already filled with enough fears about what ifs about their children. However what I do offer parents is the following: childcare training is not about the worst that can happen with your caregiver but really about the BEST that can happen. Parents if you’re hiring a caregiver here are the top 5 reasons that you should consider a nanny with some early childhood education background:
1. Confidence building- Remember when you walked across that stage with a diploma, or got the answer right on Who wants to Be a Millionaire last night? That end result of your accomplishment builds confidence. Providing childcare isn’t easy and chances are your nanny loves working with your children. A nanny with experience and an education in working with children is a confident nanny. A nanny who has had the opportunity to get a background in education also builds confidence in you his/her employer that this person will go the extra mile and you have made the right choice.
2. Building a great relationship/team- One of the best ways to keep employees happy is by investing in their skills. Your nanny is no different! If you make it clear that you are seeking a nanny with certain skills and you help your nanny get those skills you’re building a great employee/employer relationship at home.
3. There are so many opinions- There are so many opinions out there regarding anything and everything related to children. Also those opinions are always changing! Which opinions are you likelier to trust? Someone who has built a relationship with your child and your family and knows you well enough to cut through the clutter. Which leads me to my next point.
4. A trusted resource in your corner- When you’ve invested in building a team, you have added another expert you trust in your corner. Your nanny is a trusted expert that can help you as your child grows and transitions to other caregivers or school.
5. Validated care- My last point is this, although there are many ways to find a nanny, other than word of mouth, there’s currently no way to guarantee a nanny’s abilities and knowledge. Nannies seek out care education they validate and have added tremendously to their skills and safety knowledge. It’s great having care that you can trust. Whether that’s a CPR/First Aid Class or one of our online classes.