Aren’t we always looking for a creative way to work on shapes and colors with our kids? In this lesson, Sharon Rief from www.teacherresourcesforparents.com will demonstrate how to use craft sticks and Velcro circles to build shapes in different colors that can be assembled and disassembled very easily. This is another one of our fun activities for kids that can be used as a directed lesson with young kids or as an independent activity with older kids. The focus of this activity is to teach colors, shapes, patterns, and to work on fine motor skills. With older kids you can count the number of sides and angles.
We hope you enjoy the presentation! Please find a list of materials and instructions below.
1) 30 Multi-colored Popsicle Sticks (Available at The Dollar Tree or Target).
2) Round Velcro Stickers (Available at Michaels).
3) Shape flash cards (Available at Dollar Tree, Target, or Amazon). If you are unable to buy these flashcards, you can make your own.
4) Ziplock bag or small box
1) Place velcro circles at the ends of each craft stick on both sides.
2) With a younger child work together to form shapes. (Use the shape flashcards to guide you). Discuss the name of the shape, how many sides each shape has, and which colors you used to make it.
3) With an older child, let them assemble the shapes on their own, using the flashcards if necessary.
4) Use the different color craft sticks to teach patterns while making the shapes.
5) Keep the velcro craft sticks in a ziplock bag or a small box to take on the go with you.
You can find more enriching activities on Sharon’s channel at SitterCycle.com
Sharon Rief has been an educator for over 15 years. She was a special education teacher in LA Unifed for the past 10 years. And prior to that, she was a speech therapist in South Africa. She now works as a child enrichment expert and has a website called www.teacherresourcesforparents.com that provides valuable tips on how to enrich children through fun, educational activities. Sharon hosts regular workshops for nannies and babysitters that are based on the content from her site. Sharon is the proud mom of two beautiful girls, Daniella (6) and Raquel (2), who are the inspiration for all her endeavors and always the first two kids to test out all her content.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for printable PDFs of any one of her activities to build your enrichment binder. To schedule a private child enrichment training for your nanny, contact Sharon at (818) 730-6820. Or you can follow her on Facebook.